Good Read - The Sun is Also a Star

One book that I read for summer reading was The Sun is Also a Star By Nicola Yoon. This book is mainly about an undocumented immigrant from Jamaica meeting a Korean boy in New York. The girl's name is Natasha and the boy's name is Daniel. Daniel believes in fate, and he loves poetry. Natasha is a little different because she believes in science and facts. Somehow these different people meet up and eventually fall in love. I love how Yoon makes these characters almost opposites to each other, but they still end up being together. I also love how she is bringing in some culture from Korea and Jamaica into the book, so readers can learn more it. 

Also, I can relate to Daniel in some ways. His parents push him a lot, and my parents are kind of like that in a way. Also, he loves to eat Korean food, and Korean food is my favorite type of food. As I was reading, I also noticed she adds in little side stories that barely relate to the main characters. For example, there was a drunk driver that was about to hit Natasha and Daniel saved her. After that incident, Yoon added in a short explanation of why the man was drunk and all about his back story that connects to the characters in some way. All in all, this was a well-written book, and it is one of my favorites that will be on my shelf!

Comments

Popular Posts